Wednesday, October 2, 2019

EXCERPT: Down Too Deep by J. Daniels

DOWN TO DEEP by J. Daniels Releasing October 8th!

Apple Books  http://bit.ly/dtd_ibooks
Nook  http://bit.ly/dtd_nook
Kobo  http://bit.ly/dtd_kobo

Fans of Christina Lauren and Colleen Hoover will love this sexy and emotional fourth book in the New York Times bestselling Dirty Deeds series.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Following the sudden death of his wife, Nathan Bell has spent nearly two years burying himself in work and neglecting his biggest responsibility: his daughter. Overcome with guilt, he wants to connect with little Marley, but he doesn’t know how to do it alone. And then Jenna Savage throws him a lifeline.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
A single mom of twins, Jenna is more than capable of taking care of Nate’s adorable two-year-old, and wants to help Nathan however she can. Soon, attachments are made, forcing Jenna and her kids into new territory. And the closer everyone becomes, the more right it feels.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Falling in love forces Nathan to face his biggest fear, and when hearts, both big and little, are on the line, the only thing scarier than needing someone is losing them all.


Excerpt
Marley kept whining. She stomped her foot and shook her head at her father when he held out a stuffed giraffe. Nate swapped it out for a book, turning to a page and pointing at one of the pictures. She wasn’t interested. Marley fell back onto her butt as tears hit her cheeks. Her legs kicked against the floor with fury.
Nate pinched his eyes shut, ran a hand through his hair, and looked down at her. He appeared lost, and possibly on the brink of a melt-down himself.
He was overwhelmed, that was clear.
“Has she eaten dinner? Maybe she’s hungry,” I said, walking over to the play yard. On instinct, I bent over the gate and held out my arms. I wanted to soothe her somehow. I at least wanted to try. I hated seeing this sweet thing so upset.
Marley immediately stood up and came to me. When I got her on my hip, she settled down and played with the chain around my neck again.
“I don’t know what she is,” Nate replied. He held up his glasses and rubbed at his eyes. “I guess she could be hungry.”
“If you want, I can take her out there and she can eat with us. It’s just me and my kids.”
“Really?”
“Sure. What does she like off the menu?”
He looked at Marley, thinking hard on that question. “Normal two-year-old stuff?” Our gazes met. I saw the embarrassment in his eyes before he looked down and away. “Sorry. I really don’t know what she likes. I haven’t spent much time with her.” He gripped the back of his neck, mumbling, “I’m sure that’s obvious right now.”
His shame was palpable.
Something about the way Nate spoke, the humiliation in his voice, the rejection—he wanted to know his daughter. He wanted to have the answer to any question I could ask him about her, and he didn’t know how.

Everything inside me that made me who I was, wanted to help him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BBU - Coming Soon