Monday, October 21, 2019

Half Truths by Claire Contreras!


You've heard of these groups - the secretive ones that only the crème de la crème are invited into, the ones outsiders speculate about for centuries - I'm the second in my family invited to attend, but to them, I'm fresh meat. New blood. New money, too.

They think they'll elbow past me, that I'm here for their amusement, for them to walk all over, they'll find out soon enough that I'm not.

I may look like one of them, with my designer bags and clothes straight from the Parisian runways, but I'm not. I'm here for answers, to take revenge for blood spilled on their centuries-old Persian rugs.

I transferred here in search for answers about what happened to my older brother, who hightailed out of here, and my friend who seemingly disappeared into thin air. I certainly wasn't here for the attention of the star hockey player, regardless of how much he willed my eyes his way. I wasn't here for his scrutiny or his judgment or to read into his mysterious aura. I was here for the society, because only they held the answers I needed. That was, until I found out that in order to get those answers, I needed to to go through him. He's saying if I want in, I have to play by their rules, follow their lead.

It's a game I'm willing to play.

I may be the second person I know of to be invited into their society, but I'll be the first to make it out intact. 


AUDIBLE LINKS:

Christy's Review
   photo IMG_4896_zpsccpka8ck.png

 
   
“Being part of our family means above all else—loyalty.”
 

Romantic suspense is one of those genres I have to be in the mood for. When I saw Claire Contreras had one coming out, I knew I had to read it and I happened to be in just the right mood. I love everything this author writes, so I was pretty confident I would love it. After reading... That was just... wow. I was completely blown away!

Amelia Baston is starting at a new university for her senior year of college. Due to her brother being injured and her wanting to be near him, she goes to the school everyone in her family had been to. She's not just there to get her degree, she wants answers. There are missing girls, secret societies, and somehow, her brother, who is her very best friend, may be involved. She's desperate to find out what happened. But she finds herself finding out far more than she bargained for...

Logan Fitzgerald is one of the most popular athletes on campus as the star of the hockey team. He and Amelia run into each other more than once and it's apparent there is something between them. Amelia doesn't know what to think about Logan at first. She's not sure who to trust, which is understandable. But with time, she does know she's starting to fall for him.
 
   
He was entirely too intense for me. I’d known that from day one, yet here I was, welcoming him all the way.
 

I really did love this book and I was completely enthralled and addicted all the way through. I never wanted to put it down. It did take me a while to connect to the main characters, especially the hero. I didn't care for him through the start of the book, but he grew on me by the end. That last 25% or so threw me for a loop. It's also when I started to connect to Fitz and actually like him lots. I can't wait to get the second book in this series. I really want more from this couple, but I have a feeling the next book will be more in this world, but a different character's story. Either way, I can't wait to find out and read more!

This is the perfect fall read. It's got just the right amount of mystery and suspense, and even the slightest bit of spookiness (but not a scary kind of spooky). It's captivating, steamy, and kept me guessing throughout the entire story. It's a flawlessly written story full of secrets that is unputdownable. Highly recommended to lovers of romantic suspense!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BBU - Coming Soon