Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Review: Something to Talk About by Meryl Wilsner


A showrunner and her assistant give the world something to talk about when they accidentally fuel a ridiculous rumor in this debut romance.

Hollywood powerhouse Jo is photographed making her assistant Emma laugh on the red carpet, and just like that, the tabloids declare them a couple. The so-called scandal couldn't come at a worse time--threatening Emma's promotion and Jo's new movie.

As the gossip spreads, it starts to affect all areas of their lives. Paparazzi are following them outside the office, coworkers are treating them differently, and a "source" is feeding information to the media. But their only comment is "no comment".

With the launch of Jo's film project fast approaching, the two women begin to spend even more time together, getting along famously. Emma seems to have a sixth sense for knowing what Jo needs. And Jo, known for being aloof and outwardly cold, opens up to Emma in a way neither of them expects. They begin to realize the rumor might not be so off base after all...but is acting on the spark between them worth fanning the gossip flames?
 

Christy's Review: 
   photo IMG_6701_zps0duq0ygr.jpg


Something to Talk About is Meryl Wilsner’s debut novel, and I really enjoyed it. But reader beware, this one starts out slow. So slow, in fact, that I almost gave up on it. I’m so happy I didn’t. I ended up loving so much about this story and I love a good slow burn romance!

Emma is the assistant to Jo Jones. Yes, that Jo. Jo has been in Hollywood for decades. Starting off as a child actor, then moving on to other behind the scenes things such as writing. Jo takes Emma to an awards show to run interference on some questions she doesn’t want answered and the two get caught on camera smiling and laughing. The picture is innocent, but it starts a huge rumor about Jo dating her much younger assistant.

Now, there is this tension vibrating between them. They slowly start to both realize they have feelings for each other, but neither one of them know what to do with them. It’s a tricky situation, as any boss/employee relationship would be.
 
   
Jo wasn't lying when she said Emma got her through most days. She did it because of things like this, because of the way she had Jo's back, the way she took care of her.
 

I adored watching Jo and Emma start to fall for one another. Their flirty and cute moments were so sweet. I also loved that both characters were so different. Jo is more standoffish and a bit tougher of a nut to crack, but she’s really soft underneath it all. And I just loved Emma. I also really liked the relationship they both had with Emma’s sister.


There honestly wasn’t much I didn’t love about this book, aside from it being almost painfully slow. I do love me a good slow-burn, but this was slower than I’m used to. Still, in my opinion, the payoff was worth the wait. I'm so glad I read it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

BBU - Coming Soon