Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Review: One Last Stop by Casey McQuiston #OneLastStop #CaseyMcQuiston #StMartinsPress #SMPRomance

 

A *Must Read* for:
The Today Show, E! Online, Marie Claire, Elle, Time, Pop Sugar, Oprah Daily, Advocate, She Reads, Bookish, The Nerd Daily, Book Riot, Bookpage, The Rumpus, Book Bub, LGBTQReads, Culturess, Pajiba, Goodreads, Country Living, NewNowNext, Bustle, Parade, Pride, and more!

"Absolutely brilliant." The New York Times

"One Last Stop is an earnest reminder that home — whether that means a time, a place, or a person — is worth fighting for." - New York Magazine, "35 Books We Can't Wait to Read This Summer"

For cynical twenty-three-year-old August, moving to New York City is supposed to prove her right: that things like magic and cinematic love stories don’t exist, and the only smart way to go through life is alone. She can’t imagine how waiting tables at a 24-hour pancake diner and moving in with too many weird roommates could possibly change that. And there’s certainly no chance of her subway commute being anything more than a daily trudge through boredom and electrical failures.

But then, there’s this gorgeous girl on the train.

Jane. Dazzling, charming, mysterious, impossible Jane. Jane with her rough edges and swoopy hair and soft smile, showing up in a leather jacket to save August’s day when she needed it most. August’s subway crush becomes the best part of her day, but pretty soon, she discovers there’s one big problem: Jane doesn’t just look like an old school punk rocker. She’s literally displaced in time from the 1970s, and August is going to have to use everything she tried to leave in her own past to help her. Maybe it’s time to start believing in some things, after all.

Casey McQuiston’s One Last Stop is a magical, sexy, big-hearted romance where the impossible becomes possible as August does everything in her power to save the girl lost in time.

Christy's Review: 


One Last StopOne Last Stop by Casey McQuiston

4.25 stars
"It’s probably going to break my heart, and it’s still worth it.”

After reading Casey McQuiston’s debut novel two years ago, I knew I would read anything this author writes. One Last Stop had such a unique concept and the most lovable and wonderful group of friends/found family.

August and Jane meet on the subway. Cute ‘meet cute’, right? Well, it’s a little more complicated that that. August is 23 and a student in Brooklyn. After meeting Jane a few times, she realizes Jane is from the 1970’s. Yes. You read that right. I’ll be honest and say it did take me a bit to get into this one. The first 30% or so I wasn’t sure if I loved it or not, but I’m so glad I kept going because I ended up truly loving this one.

Once August and Jane’s romance picked up this book became everything for me. The romance was lovely, and I couldn’t adore August’s roommates and some of the other secondary characters in this book more than I did. Seriously, they made the story. There was so much love in this book. Not just the romantic kind, though there was that in spades. Though this book wasn’t relatable for me in a lot of ways, I think it will be to so many people and it’s so important to have stories like this told.

If you’re looking for an original romance with a diverse cast of characters you need this book in your life! Found family is one of my favorite things in books and this truly had one of the best! The romance took me a bit to be invested in, but once I was I was hooked. The last half of the story especially was my favorite. I loved all the revelations and learning more about the characters, specifically Jane and her past. This one made me smile so big and was such a heartwarming and beautiful story. Highly recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BBU - Coming Soon