Wednesday, May 5, 2021

5 star review: People We Meet on Vacation by Emily Henry

 

Two best friends. Ten summer trips. One last chance to fall in love. 

Poppy and Alex. Alex and Poppy. They have nothing in common. She’s a wild child; he wears khakis. She has insatiable wanderlust; he prefers to stay home with a book. And somehow, ever since a fateful car share home from college many years ago, they are the very best of friends. For most of the year they live far apart—she’s in New York City, and he’s in their small hometown—but every summer, for a decade, they have taken one glorious week of vacation together.

Until two years ago, when they ruined everything. They haven’t spoken since.

Poppy has everything she should want, but she’s stuck in a rut. When someone asks when she was last truly happy, she knows, without a doubt, it was on that ill-fated, final trip with Alex. And so, she decides to convince her best friend to take one more vacation together—lay everything on the table, make it all right. Miraculously, he agrees.

Now she has a week to fix everything. If only she can get around the one big truth that has always stood quietly in the middle of their seemingly perfect relationship. What could possibly go wrong?


Christy's 5 star review: 



When I finished reading People We Meet on Vacation, all I could think is... I think I might have just read my favorite book of the year. Emily Henry wrote one of my favorite books of 2020, 'Beach Read', so I was a bit nervous about going into this one. I mean, what are the odds that she could do it again? Well, she did. I loved this just as much as 'Beach Read'.

Poppy and Alex meet their freshman year of college and become the most unlikely of friends. These two couldn't be more different. Alex is straight-laced, has plans to finish college, move home and eventually marry and start a family. Poppy is a bit of a free spirit, and wants to spend her years traveling the world. When they find out they're from the same town in Ohio and drive home together for summer break, they plan a trip together.

This summer trip turns into an annual thing and every year, no matter where they are in their lives, they take this trip together. This book is told in the present, but also goes back to many of those trips. This is one of the best friends to lovers/opposites attract books I've ever read. These two have such a connection, but the problem is, no matter how much these two care for each other, they both want a different things. Things that aren't necessarily easy to compromise on.
It hurts to want it all, so many things that can’t coexist within the same life.

What I loved about this book most is that as different as Poppy and Alex were, they both felt so relatable to me in different ways. Poppy was such a fun character and I loved watching her grow and find out what she wanted from her life. And Alex... buttery, warm, and perfect Alex. I couldn't have loved these two and their journey more.

And fun but random fact... these two are from a town in Ohio called 'Linfield' (which doesn't exist) but is about 40 minutes north of Cincinnati. I live in a town called Fairfield, 35 minutes north of Cincinnati and the next town north of me is Lindenwald. Put those two together and you get 'Linfield'... coincidence, I think not LOL.

Emily Henry writes some of the best romances out there. She is solidifying herself as one of my favorite authors with each new book she writes. The People We Meet on Vacation is such a special book. It's a story of friendship, family, love, and finding yourself and what you really want out of life. It was swoony, made me smile, and made me feel so much. I loved it to pieces and can't recommend it enough!
“Wherever you are, that’s where I belong. I’ll never belong anywhere like I belong with you. No matter what I’m feeling, I want you next to me. You’re home to me.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

BBU - Coming Soon